Thursday, September 15, 2011

How do i speak?

I would like to say I have made my own way of speaking. Thinking back I've not only used my words differently but coupled with strong grammar and slang i have a style of speech i can use at almost any occasion.
I have my original speech from my mother, she uses professional english where she goes so as her son and growing up as a only child i started to pick it up seamlessly. After i got into the 6th grade i realized i was the only person not using slang, so I decided to pick it up. now I can say that i picked up a lot of the way I talk from my friends, also as my friends changed my speech changed, for the most part I can say that my speech has changed with every new set of friends that I have had.
When I speak I like to switch my styles in mid sentence I can be very casual and then switch to formal in the next sentence. I have heard from many people saying that i talk "weird" but i always remember there is no "right" way to speak english. I embrace my individualistic speech and don't plan on chainging it any time soon.

4 comments:

  1. "Thinking back I've not only used my words differently but coupled with strong grammar and slang i have a style of speech i can use at almost any occasion."

    It seems like a lot of our colleagues have patched together a chameleonic English dialect.

    Do you find yourself having to downshift the 'properness' of your English in social settings, or do you find that keeping your speech patterns consistent is an important part of self identity?

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hay i easily relate to you when you said about picking things up from your mothe, especially seing as a single parent. i picked up a feew habits from my mother as well. In a way, i do the same as you when it comes to combing slang with professional language as well. its like if i am stuck between half a code switch

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, very good post. I can relate to the changing of your speech as you gain new (and different) friends.

    Do you feel that maybe the way you speak now might seem alian / bizarre had you heard it five or so years ago?

    ReplyDelete